Friday, October 29, 2010

Album Review: Khalil Fong – ‘Orange Moon’

Album release date: 2008
Genre: R&B/Soul, Cpop
Rating: 4.5/5
Review by: jct

 

On his 4th album, Orange Moon, Khalil Fong delivers more well-sung and sensitive R&B/Soul songs that are forever hopelessly romantic. This is certaintly a strong album as he composed and produced most of the songs.

Hopelessly Romantic

The album starts off with the title track, “Singalongsong” which is a mid-tempo song and he sings it completely in English. The song is about writing a song for a loved one, as he smoothly sings, “Girl, I’ll do my best to show these words are true/And if you like to make a song and be in perfect harmony with me/ I find the greatest words to sing/ So we could write our own romantic thing”.

The album is filled with a handful of slow and sensual songs with very original lyrics. For instance, the next song, “Little Bug” with lyrics: “I’m not an expert at saying romantic lines, don’t blame me/I don’t understand, if it weren’t for this tiny bug/That frightened you, making you jump into my embrace/Would I be able to embrace you like this?/I’m really useless/I have to thank this little bug for giving me this chance”.  Also deserving mentioning is a hopelessly romantic song, “Three Person Tour” about a man hopelessly in love with a girl who already has another man, but as long as she is happy, it is enough. He sings, “Quietly, silently, maybe it’s really worth it/I’m still waiting somewhere/Maybe this still qualifies as a type of happiness/At least one of us can still be happy/And that’s already enough.

The album’s only slight flaw is that a couple of songs may sound similar to tracks from his other albums. But that can be forgiven since it’s not like he repeats himself very often. The important thing is that his songs are still fresh and compelling, and he still sounds full of life.

So, the bottom line is if you’re a Khalil fan, you’re unlikely to be disappointed by the album. Virtually every song on Orange Moon is excellent: the vocals, production and especially the lyrics. And if you’re not familiar with his music but enjoys R&B/Soul, this album is highly recommended.


Track list:
1. Singalongsong (English)
2. 小小蟲 (Little Bug)
3. 1234567
4. 黑白 (Black &White)
5. 如果愛 (If Love)
6. 黑洞裡 (Inside the Black Hole)
7. 三人遊 (Three Person Tour)
8. 每個人都會 (Everyone Will)
9. 100種表情 (100 Kinds of Expression)
10. 愛我吧 (Love Me)
11. 為妳寫的歌 (The Song Written For You) [Singalongsong Mandarin version]

No comments:

Post a Comment