Thursday, October 31, 2013

Album Review: Brother Su - 'Paper'

Album release date: 2013
Genre: R&B/Soul, Kpop
Rating: 4/5
Review by: jct

Singer-songwriter Brother Su, has finally released his debut album entitled 'Paper' on July 4, 2013. Here, Brother Su continues to show promise and potential as he displays his own musical personality and style.


Promise and Potential


From the beginning, things start off well, with "Why are you being like this feat. Swings", which is a strong, up-tempo tune that's full of bounce and personality. It reminds me of his second single, "You Got Me" released in 2011. And it continues to go well as you move along the tracks.
Of note is "I'm With You feat. Ra.D" which is a very nice collaboration with singer-songwriter Ra.D as they have such great chemistry. The song is about pondering over a past relationship and missing that special person, as he sings, "When I'm with you girl, I want to stop time that's moving so quickly." Ra.D then continues, "Girl, when I'm with you; you, who matched my footsteps. I sometimes forget how precious you are."

Here, I noticed some vocal similarities with the speaking-type of singing. In a way, it is a unique feature of the music under Realcollabo label. The lyrics of his songs are also sweet, kind and honest, such as "Girl Next Door" where he sings, "Let's meet up whenever we have time, I'm very glad to meet a friend my age. Although we met for the first time today, I think we have a lot of things in common. It's making me more curious as to why that is."

Despite his smooth and relaxing vocals, there are some songs that are somewhat bland, and there is a bit too much featuring of other artists in this album (nearly half of the album). However, most of the time, he sounds like he is enjoying himself and singing what's actually in his heart. All the songs, from beginning to the end, are written, composed and produced by himself which deserves applause. Overall, his debut album certainly proves that he is a talented and well-rounded artist.

Tracklist
01. Intro (늦잠)
02. 왜 이러니 (Feat.Swings) (Why are you being like this)
03. 소심해서 그래 (Feat.달총이 of CHEEZE) (Because I'm so Timid feat. Dal Chong of CHEEZE)
04. 윗집 여자 (Girl Next Door)
05. 좋대요 (Like it)
06. I'm With You (Feat.Ra.D)
07. 다른 별 (Feat.Lovey) (Different Stars)
08. 팔베개 (Sleep with your head on my arm)
09. Outro (늦잠)
10. It Was You (CD Only) (Bonus Track)



2 comments:

  1. Brother is my favorite male singer I just noticed him after he sang of OST She was Pretty with Soyou..so sweet. I called him Sweet cotton candy voice I love all his song. the he made by him self

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! Sweet cotton candy sounds perfect for him :) I love his music style, and the stuff he produces are amazing!

      Delete