Monday, January 17, 2011

Album Review: Ra.D (라디) - ‘Vol. 1 My Name is Ra.D’

Album release date: 2002
Genre: R&B/Soul
Rating: 4/5
Review by: jct
                  

On his debut album, Vol. 1 My Name is Ra.D, Ra.D delivers well-sung R&B music with a unique style. Not only does he compose nearly all the songs, he also arranges them, and the results are impressive. On this album, he sings about the process of meeting and parting with love as well as friendship.


Personality & Style

The album’s title track, “So One” is a mid-tempo R&B song about wishing a lover could come back to him as he sings, “If you come back, you can make my wish come true/ I would be happy if you come back, that’s my wish/ So One/ I only have one wish, only one”.  Another highlight is “바램 (Hoping)”, which is a mid-tempo R&B love ballad with comforting beats and tender vocals, “I hope I could be with you, just the two of us/ I won’t wish for anything more/... you can imagine with joy/  I’ll give you all the happiness and we can live happily/ I want to be with you.” Simple yet honest lyrics like these as well as arranging all the songs on his own add to Ra.D’s reputation as a talented song-writer in R&B/Soul music.

Also deserving mentioning is the cover, “White Christmas” which has a more R&B flavour, and he sings it completely in English. Other notable songs include “내가있어 (I’ve Got)”, “Coming to Your Mind”, “ 내게 했던 얘기를 (You talked about me)”, and “ 네게... (I offer you…)”.

A major highlight of this album is that there is more R&B/Soul and less hip hop sounds which is great because Ra.D’s vocals and style can stand out more, without being overwhelmed by hip hop. In all the songs, he sounds strong and delivers the emotions well, but he wouldn’t be considered a top-tiered vocalist.

Although the topic matter is the same in this whole album, he does switch things up a little when it comes to his backing music, which makes his R&B/Soul music style unique. The album has some slight drawbacks, but it’s Ra.D’s distinctive personality and unique style that hold the album together and make it a cohesive package instead of just a collection of songs. Overall, Vol. 1 My Name is Ra.D is a very solid album.
Tracklist
1. Intro
2. Comin to Your Mind
3. 네게
... (I offer you…)
4. 내가있어
(I’ve Got)
5. 요술공주 세리
(feat. Master Wu) (Magic Series - OST)
6. Media Doll (feat. UMC)
7. Never Forget 2002 (skit)
8. Can I Get A Little Bit
9. 바램
(Hoping)
10. 소원 (So One)

11. To Homies
12. 홀로서기
(Being On My Own)
13. 내게 했던 얘기를
(You talked about me)
14. White Christmas (Bonus track)
15. Satisfy? (Outro)

1 comment: