Monday, January 10, 2011

Album Review: Ra.D - ‘Vol. 2 Realcollabo’, ‘Vol. 2.5 Realcollabo + RMX)

Album release date: 2008, 2009
Genre: R&B, Soul, Hip Hop    
Review by: jct

Note: This is a review for Ra.D’s Vol 2 and 2.5 albums since some songs from Vol. 2.5 are the same as Vol. 2, but remixes.
__
After a long hiatus of 6 years, Ra.D is back with his second album, Vol. 2 Realcollabo, and a year after Vol. 2, he released Vol 2.5 Realcollabo + RMX, which contain remixes of some songs from Vol.2 as well as new songs. All the tracks are marked with Ra.D's unique R&B, soul, and hip-hop sounds, that revolves around topics like family, friendship, and love.



Great Style          
All of Ra.D’s albums have a story, and this time in the second album, it’s about parting with love, new love, and his affection for family and friends. The title track, “Goodbye” is a slow tempo R&B love ballad about a broken heart but slowly moving on, as he sings smoothly, “Because the times we spent together was short/ It will always be regretful/ Please don’t forget about me, I won’t forget you either/ So that when we meet again, it won’t be too awkward.”
Also deserving mentioning is “I’m in Love” which is a song about falling in love with someone and taking a step forward to tell them, as he sings, “If I don't approach first, I’m afraid I would lose you/ So I wrote a letter and prepared a  small gift for you/ If my love for you gets deeper, I knew it would only hurt me more/  It’s true that my mind is full of fears/ With my anxious heart I prayed and hoped/ I believe that person is you/ I’m in love, I’m falling in love.” Other notable songs from these two albums include “너와 함께 있음을  (Your Perspective)”, “Mal Love (Promised Summer RMX)”, “너와 함께 있음을 (Lullaby RMX)”, “Couple Song feat. Kelley”, and “멋있는 친구(Cool Fella) (feat. 정인, 인발, DJ Bay with ziEyA)”.
Certainly style and song production are two things these albums have in abundance as he is able to capture the emotions of each song through his unique style of R&B, soul, and hip hop sounds. He also covers a wide range of topics from love to gospel songs, and manages to sound strong in fast-tempo R&B/Hip hop song as well as mellow and sensitive love ballads. The fact that Ra.D composes, arranges as well as mixing and mastering all the tracks to give listener new sounds is impressive.

One possible flaw with the album is the abundant number of guest appearances. The large presence of hip hop artists on some songs seems to overwhelm Ra.D’s vocals, and the song becomes too hip hop for R&B fans. However, the vocals of some of the female artists in the duets complement well with Ra.D’s voice.

Overall, Vol. 2 and Vol. 2.5 are very well-performed and well-produced albums that define R&B music nicely. These two albums are highly recommended for those who enjoy R&B seasoned with Soul and Hip Hop music.


Overall Rating
Vol. 2 Realcollabo – 4.5/5
Vol. 2.5 Realcollabo + RMX  -  4/5
Tracklist
Vol. 2 -  Realcollabo
1 . Intro
2 . Goodbye
3 . 떠난 님은   (Just Leave Me)
4 . 멋있는 친구(Cool Fella) (feat. 정인, 인발, DJ Bay with ziEyA)
5 . Sweet Love (feat. 꼬깔이)
6 . 엄마 (Mother)
7 . I'm In Love
8 . SP Collabo (feat. VJ, Steady B, KeBee, Sick Boi, UMC)
9 . Mal Love (feat. 인발, DJ Bay with ziEyA)
10 . Couple Song (feat. Kelley)
11 . 너와 함께 있음을  (Your Perspective)
12 . Happy Birthday 
Vol. 2.5 -  Realcollabo + RMX
1. Mal Love (Promised Summer RMX) (feat.Inbar)
2. Everything's gonna be alright (feat. 꼬깔이, 배켱
, Inbar)
3. 너와 함께 있음을
(Lullaby RMX)  (Your Perspective)
4. I'm in love (Piano RMX)
5. Goodbye (Original mix)
6. 네게
(Acoustik RMX) (feat.Inbar) (For You, I Will)
7. I could sing of your love forever (Silky RMX) (feat. Grace Eun, 꼬깔이
)
8. Jesus Loves me (Groovy RMX) (feat. 조수아, Hena) 

No comments:

Post a Comment